Operation Day

8th of May, a day to remember for me. Just before I went to bed the night before, the nurse came to give me an injection to avoid throwing up the next day. Slept relatively well after that.

The next morning, the nurse came and woke me up at 545am! What an ungodly hour. I told her that I've set my alarm at 645am because they will only be rolling me in at 730am but the nurse just continued to say that I can wake up now and start getting ready. Fine, I got up then. My family arrived just in time after I got dressed and showered. Surprisingly I was relatively calm about the whole thing.

Then at 730am, the nurses rolled the OT bed to my room. As I lied down on the bed, they took my blood pressure and gave me two pills; one for gastric and one to relax and another injection to prevent throwing up. As the nurse started to wheel me to the OT, I started crying. Luckily my family was there to comfort me and just kept telling me to breath in and out and that everything will be alright. The last I remembered was getting wheeled into somewhere, which sounded super busy, and someone putting a mask on my face and then I was gone...

When I woke up, I vaguely remember someone pulling a needle out from my neck, waving to all the nurses/doctors and asking my surgeon 'who are you?'. Lol. I got back to my room around 4pm. I remember having a good appetite but was super thirsty. I had some rice and soup around 6pm and some more slightly after 7pm. The anaesthetist also came over to explain to me about the morphine machine and how it worked. I just remembered hearing 'you can press it every 5 minutes' and then I dozed off.

Right after my operation when I woke up. 

It was really hard to sleep that night as I was lying down on my wound and it was really uncomfortable. I pressed for morphine every chance I could but it didn't seem like it was relieving my pain so that prompted me to press the button even more! But of course, there's a limit to how much I can press. They changed refilled the morphine twice for me through the night. Damn was the machine noisy when it ran out of morphine.

I barely had any sleep that night. Kept waking up because I was uncomfortable or thirsty.

Till my next post about post operation!

Cai Lin 


Popular posts from this blog

1 year anniversary!

What is scoliosis?

Scoliosis sharing with My Doctors